UPDATE: First procure certificate and key by following the instructions given here.
I recently bought a Nokia 5230 phone. After playing with it for few days, i started looking for ways to install unsigned applications (As Nokia trademark Symbian OS now requires signed applications only). After searching the internet and googling around for a while, i came to know of the following 2 solutions to solve this problem.
For the first method you will need the unique certificate and key for your mobile. These can be acquired by the site of OPDA and applying for the same. Once you get hold of the certificate and key, follow the procedure given below.
Using BiNPDA’s FreeSigner And HelloOX2
- Install BiNPDA’s FreeSigner (File can be found below) in your mobile phone’s memory card.
- Copy the certificate, key (acquired from OPDA) and HelloOX2 (File can be found below) to any (accessible) folder on the memory card.
- After installing, open FreeSigner (in your mobile phone).
- Click on option -> settings.
- In the settings screen fill the Sign Cert and Sign Key options by locating the certificate and key stored on your memory card.
- Now add HelloOX2 (For signing).
- Click on option -> Sign Sis -> Go.
- After signing the HelloOX2 file successfully, install the file on your memory card.
- Now open HelloOX2 from application folder located in your mobile.
Thats It! HelloOX2 will do its part without troubling you further. And after its complete, you will (most probably) be able to install unsigned applications on your device.
If you would have observed the above given method you would have noticed that a majority of efforts have been made to sign the HelloOX2 application. And that installation was basically what we did to hack the phone in order to install unsigned applications. Now, there is an easy way too. HelloOX2 provides signed application too however that comes at a cost of 5$. All you need to do is:
- Visit their site and fill in the details.
- Pay the required amount and wait for a day to receive the signed application.
- Install the application on your phone.
Thats it! You are now good to go. Install unsigned applications without worrying about certificate errors.
Note that the reason for me to search for ways to install unsigned applications was to test the applications developed by those who couldn’t get their applications signed and that i wanted to get the maximum out of my mobile (Nokia would have been a great mobile phone deal had nokia permitted installation of unsigned applications). So, i would advice you to stay away from hacking your phone if you don’t have any interest in installing unsigned applications.
UPDATE 1: It seems there is some problem with installing HelloOX2 on Nokia 5230 even though this phone model is supported by HelloOX2. One of the reader (see comments) as well as me faced this problem and therefore i am sharing yet another, rather long, method of signing applications without installing HelloOX2. Follow the procedure as given below:
- Procure .cer and .key from OPDA as mentioned in “Initial Requirements”.
- Install Free Signer (from link given above – Signed already).
- Setup Free signer (As given in step 4 and step 5 in 1st method).
- Now tap on “Add Task”.
- Select the application that needs to be signed from the file browser.
- Tap “Options” and select “Add”.
- From the pop up menu select “Sign sis”.
- Tap on “Options” and select “Go”.
Thats it! The signed application will appear in the same folder as the unsigned application with ‘_signed’ attached to it (To identify it!). i hope this method works for all those who were not able to install HelloOX2 on their devices.