Experience Jelly Bean On Galaxy S 2 I9100G With Cyanogenmod 10 [Flash Guide]
Jelly Bean has been officially announced by Google. Being an owner of Samsung Galaxy S II (I9100G), you must be thinking as to when will I be getting this update. Well to be true, the chances getting upgraded to Jelly Bean look bleak. That’s how corporate’s run business. Deal with it. But the good news is Android has a huge off the market community and rewards are equally awesome.
Famous custom ROM Cyanogenmod has been quick to update itself to Jelly Bean and has subsequently come up with Cyanogenmod 10. Courtesy recognized xda elite developer Codeworkx CM10 i.e Jelly Bean is now available for Galaxy I9100G users! Though the build is still in experimental phase but it’s good enough as a daily driver. As a matter of fact I have been using it for a few days now and except for some bugs here and there, everything is pretty much smooth, butter smooth!
Getting to the point. Follow the steps given below to flash your Galaxy I9100G with Cyanogenmod 10:
Phase I – Warning
This is a warning. Once you flash your device with custom rom, the warranty of your mobile phone will stand void. That is to say, in case you brick your device (the chances of which are rare) you’ll not be able to send it to Samsung workshop. So make up your mind before reading further. Also, I am not in any possible way responsible to whatever happens to your device (or you ). PLEASE DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Phase II – Bare Minimum Requirements
- Install KIES and attach your phone once. This will ensure that your have the right drivers installed for your mobile phone.
- Running stock Ice Cream Sandwich update pushed by Samsung recently. This ensures that your phone has ICS bootloader, a certain requirement for CM10.
- Battery is at-least 80% full.
- Full back up of your Internal memory and External memory.
- Make full backup of installed applications.
Phase III – Download The Required Files
Phase III – Installing Clockwork Mod Recovery
- Power off your device.
- Boot into Download Mode using Volume Down + Home + Power key combination.
- Press Volume Up button to accept the warning.
- Extract the ODIN zip file and start Odin (in your computer).
- Choose “GT-I9100G_XX_ClockworkMod-Recovery_X.X.X.X.tar” (Downloaded earlier) as PDA (no repartition).
- Now connect your Phone with computer.
- Click on Start button to install.
Once installation is complete your device will restart. Now you are ready to install Cyanogenmod 10 on your Galaxy S II I9100G…!
Phase IV – Installing Cyanogenmod 10
- With the device powered on, connect your phone with computer and transfer the downloaded experimental build (zip file) and google apps package (zip) to internal memory of your phone.
- Power off your device.
- Press Volume Up + Home + Power keys to enter the recovery mode.
- Using Volume Down key select “Install zip from sdcard”.
- Using Volume Down key select “Install zip from internal sdcard”.
- Now select the update file your transferred (experimental build).
- Select Yes.
- Follow the steps from 4 to step 7 and install the gapps zip in same manner.
That’s it. You’ll see a success message. Now just go back to the main menu and select “reboot system now”. Congratulations, you can now enjoy the awesomeness of Cyanogenmod 10 with unedited, bloat free Jelly Bean
Some Worthy Tips
- After installing, it is recommended to factory reset your device. I know, it’s a great pain in the ass but this will assure you that Jelly Bean incompatible apps don’t cause a problem.
- Cyanogenmod 10 for I9100 G is still in experimental i.e updates will be released on regular basis and you may need to flash your phone more often than not. Though, while upgrading the newer build you won’t be requiring a full factory reset but you do need to download the ~120MB file each time.